Saturday, June 19, 2010

Bead Society

When I first moved to San Diego, my gosh, six years ago now, I didn't know anyone. I had quit my corporate job and moved to San Diego all at the same time. I had always met people at work or through kids and now I had none of those things to connect me. But I did have beads!

It was suggested that I call Jeannette Cook of Beadyeyed Women fame,



and although I felt shy about it, I did. We met for lunch and became fast friends. Many of you know that we are now also neighbors, well not literally, but a mile apart in the same town.

Jeannette took me to my first Bead Society meeting and there I met all kinds of like minded people. I had time and a few skills from the corporate world, so I stepped in as President for a couple of years. Since then life has been a whirlwind of bead travel and it's a rare day I am home during the meeting times.

Today I'm home and the guest speaker is Margie Deeb! I couldn't feel more fortunate to be able to attend Margie's presentation and see some old friends as well. I've had pieces in Margie's last color book as well as her spring report, and I will be delivering a piece for the fall color report. Although I've met her briefly I've never had the pleasure of hearing her speak, so I'm quite thrilled at the prospect.

4 comments:

Carol Dean Sharpe said...

Can you see the green glow of envy I'm giving off all the way from San Diego this morning, Marcia? Just look east. LOL Have fun!

Beverly Herman said...

I learned a lot from Margie's color presentation on the Bead Cruise last year. She is a great person and I was thrilled to have met her.

Rebecca said...

Oh my goodness, I wish I had a local bead society! We just don't have things like that over here in the UK. I can just imagine how good Margie's talk must have been BUT one day I WILL hear you talk about beads; I can only imagine how inspirational that would be :-)

kate mckinnon said...

Have a wonderful time, what a treat.