Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Bead Soup

After years of observation, it has come to my attention that most beaders do not prefer this method of beading.  This is interesting to me, because the beads speak to me so much more clearly when they play together like this.  I see color combinations I might not have thought of, I'm am visually pleased as I work.  I love these little palettes laying about the studio.


Back in my freeform days I always mixed the beads which I thought had many advantages, portability being one of them.  I could put all of the beads in one container, rather then stopping to put them all back in their own little correct container.

The other bonus of working from this pile is that I have a built in 'repair kit' when I'm done.  I just spoon the remainder of the palette in a baggie and toss it in the drawer.  If I ever do have a failure it would likely be years from now, when I'd have no idea how to find the correct bead.

I've come to realize I'm in the minority, but old habits are hard to break....

12 comments:

Bizzy B said...

Well...I don't work like that but maybe I should try it. I like the idea of seeing different combinations (color & bead).

washoe said...

I remember well the first time I used this method in your Collared Elegance class. It was a bit difficult, but I really liked the result.

I still do this bead mix method, and people who see all the beads mixed up in my little box always say how pretty it looks. Then they ask if I will separate the beads back into the their containers when I finish my project. That makes me laugh.

ruth howell said...

i love the colors you put in your bead soup as they are my favorite- - i don't tend to mix the beads together, just have a series of little piles of beads and then mix as i work on my project...but my friend, Chris, tells me i'm not normal as most folks can't do that!

ruth howell said...

i love the colors you put in your bead soup as they are my favorite- - i don't tend to mix the beads together, just have a series of little piles of beads and then mix as i work on my project...but my friend, Chris, tells me i'm not normal as most folks can't do that!

Marcia DeCoster said...

Welcome to the minority Ruth.

Marcia DeCoster said...

Washoe, so sorry I can't glean who you are from your online name of was hoe, but collared elegance was quite a ways back!

Aunt Mary said...

each has its own little pile and they go back in the correct little containers when done!

Unknown said...

Now I am drooling and lusting after that little pile of bead soup! Simply gorgeous colours and textures. I used to be so scared of bead soup and freeform but having recently ventured into both I've found I'm really enjoying them!

Leora said...

I can't fight the need for 'neatness' in having piles of individual beads, but I never thought of the repair kit idea. Definitely have to start incorporating that idea.

donna said...

Hi Marcia, I am also getting ready to bead the Helix bracelet. I was wondering what kinds of colors you are using in your bracelet? I am going with the colors that came with the instructions. I don't think I can one better how that looks. Thanks.

Marcia DeCoster said...

Donna, I am doing gold and silver and adding crystals (of course)

donna said...

That sounds very inspirational and beautiful. Any peeks planning in future blogs? Will you have it done in time for Kate's book? Sorry for all of the questions, I am keeping you from beading!!