Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Designing in the cracks….

Very often for me some little bit of time will result in an idea that gets developed in a moment.  Being at the Bead and Button show provides so much creative stimulation but provides little or no time to actually sit down with the beads, at least for me.

After twelve days I got on the plane to come home, happy, satisfied and exhausted.  I had two colors of beads, a size 15 and a size 11 in my carryon, plus needles and thread and scissors.  I had a what if moment, tried out my idea and a tiny bit of beadwork started to take shape.

I'm not sure where it's going, I have two different ideas and am waiting to see which one I want to develop further.  I call these moments, designing in the cracks.  Taking advantage of that crack in the schedule to create.


I also have times of solitude and more time where I sit down specifically to design, but if it weren't for the 'cracks' a lot of my design ideas would go unrealized.

How about you?  Do you take advantage of small bits of time to fit in a little design work?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

loved this blog - as the owner of a bead store I have limited time to develop new ideas so most of my work is done in the "cracks" - those bits of stolen time. They are precious to me. Having the shop puts me in touch with many creative people so there is constant inspiration. It also affords me the opportunity to be able to do what I like to do best - create.

Marcia DeCoster said...

Thanks Dana, I see you can relate!